The Introvert's Diary - A day at work

I am an introvert, and yes I am proud of being one, though I may not come across as being proud.

To start, let me just clear off some misconceptions about introverts.
  1. We are not shy. We just hate attention, and spotlight ('Hate' being a really strong word).
  2. We are not unapproachable. We just hate having to indulge in meaning-less conversations.
  3. We are not anti-social. We just hate the small talk.
  4. We are not lonely, (At times we are, like every other human being). We just cherish the time spent alone.
  5. We are not snobbish. (We like it that way though, It keeps the small talks at bay)

The 'we are not' list will grow indefinitely, so let me not waste time there (Oh, by the way, we introverts don't like beating around the bush either), instead let me just give you a peak into the life of an introvert.

I was pre-warned by a fellow mate, that this place was going to be over-whelming for me, just from the sheer amount of energy floating around here. Yet, I took my chances, and yes, I love it here. It took a bit of getting used to though, but now I am comfortable, and I cherish every day spend here. The day I spent here mostly satisfies my social needs, so If I don't step out on a friday evening, or a saturday, don't be surprised. It just means I had my full of social interactions for that week.

The Day


The morning stand-up

The most important part of the day, yet the most revolted against. It sees more 'hartals', and 'bandhs' from introverts, than seen in God's own country. There are days I look forward to the morning stand up, and then there are days where I am indifferent. It all boils down to repetition of information, and value it adds to my day. Does it add value - Yes. Does it add value every day - May be not. Do I have to adhere to it - Yes, because being an introvert doesn't make me immune to the rules of the society.

Pairing


The pairing matrix of an introvert would usually tilt in favour of a person who is 'easy' to pair with. The introvert's pair would be an extrovert, or an introvert and is usually a person who understands how an introverts mind works.

The Introvert pairing matrix


Introvert Driver - Introvert navigator: A lot of nods, and hmmm, and an occasional 'You misspelled `origin`'. We understand each other, yet we don't understand each other. We try to make it easier for each other, but end up making it a comedy of errors. The pairing usually ends with a feedback which revolves around 'It would have been easier if you could .....'.
I get it, I am not one of the easiest person to pair with.

Introvert Driver - Extrovert Navigator: Its like having a kid high on sugar, enough said.

Extrovert Driver - Introvert Navigator: We are not fans of story recitals. It takes away the fun of imagining the story in our own flavour. You don't have to get a nod on everything. If we differ on something, It would be made too obvious. If we are stuck with flow we will make sure to ask. So hold on to your rapid fire recitals of what you are thinking and typing, just go with the flow, and mostly it will work out great.

Luncheons

I still have not grasped the importance of having lunch together. It just adds on to the many things which sap my energy.

Feedbacks 

As Introverts we love feedbacks. It forms the bread and butter of our nature. We love to self introspect, and a feedback is the right candidate for it. A feedback under the category of 'things you should improve' or 'things you should start doing' is something we look forward to. It adds more value than the 'things you did good' feedbacks. I personally am well aware of things which I might have done well in, so a suggestion or a feedback on how I can keep doing it better would be more than welcome, rather than just stating an obvious fact (aka. Repetition of information).

Retro

I don't understand the section for appreciations, we all did what we are good at, so why the need for appreciations.

Team Outing

Small team - 'Yaaay, team outing'
Big Team - 'Corner seat - that's my spot'

Coclusion

In a way that brings me to the end of a really busy day, not due to work, but because of all the constant social interactions. As opposed to an extrovert, an Introvert gets tired in a social setting. Its 'tired', and not 'anti-social', so please don't feel offended if we occasionally choose not to be part of a conversation. We are listening to every part of it and would be able to recollect each and every aspect of the conversation, but we just love to be observers, giving our views and ideas when its the most required.
Also, handling an introvert is easy,  Its like owning a cat. 'Give me food, I am happy. Don't give me food, I will source my own food''Give me attention, I am happy, until I get bored of it. Give me more attention, I might bite or scratch'.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Perceptron Networks - 1: Did I Win?

The Curse of the Local Optima

Dying Technologies: IRC